Wednesday, October 1, 2008

BeeBees

Tony has a BB gun. Our good friend Pat wanted to give him a 'manly' present, and that is what he chose. It apparently is a good one- Red Ryder, or something...When I see it in the garage, I can't help but remeber my own BB-ing experiences.

When Seth and I were younger (10/12 ish) we had BB guns. We also had a stack of targets that we could staple to a tree and shoot at. Dad taught us safety things, like don't keep it loaded, don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, and don't aim at each other, the house, the cars, or Sarah and Whitney. Got it.

He never mentioned the bees.

Along the edge of our front yard was a strip of ivy, and every summer it was swarming with bees. We determined that, since were were such expert marksmen, we deserved harder targets than paper circles. Our quest for more formidable foes was short, as we both looked out from the front deck and our eyes settled on the vile weeds, all abuzz.

Our relentless attack on the small invaders was a costly one. Many a tear was shed when they retaliated, and when Mom discovered the fault was our own, we, brave hunters and defenders of hearth and home, were stripped of our weapons. And grounded.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mieka; first I want to say: you have a wonderful talent for story telling!... This is hilarious. I never knew that story. You make my days so much happier. I love you and I miss you!
love,
-Sarah

Marissa said...

Haha! Your stories are so funny. I hope you're keeping a journal so your kids can have a good laugh at all this stuff later down the line. :)

Seth said...

I remember shooting at the little pices of 2x6 that dad always had laying around and haveing the bee bees bouncing back and hiting us, or at least me, in the head.

Whit said...

oh mieka, you are so stinkin hilarious! i love reading your stories! seriously, if u ever find some free time on your hands (probably after your kids have grown up and out of the house) you should write a short story, or heck, a novel! something! i know i would buy it! i would be your biggest fan! :) love you!