Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Thief in the Night

I've never been a very good sleeper. For various reasons which are best saved for a therapist, I have a hard time going to sleep, especially if I wake up in the night. Consequently, I have been known to do a great deal of late night reading. At some point early on in life, I realized that a good book is best enjoyed with a good snack (another issue I should probably take up with a professional). When a person is the last one awake in a house full of forbidden treats, it is only natural that a wily youngster like myself might seek out that which can only be had on the sly.

Over the years, Mom's treat stash was mysteriously depleted. At first I'd only take one cookie, or a few Heath Bar pieces but, as so often happens with criminal ventures, it spiraled out of control. Soon, whole bags of M&Ms were missing, as were all the blue Freezer Pops (not a good thing to sneak- they stain when they spill). Rows of Symphony bar were gone, and near-full boxes of Mystic Mints would suddenly have only 3 left. On any given day, a peek behind my blue pillow would have revealed a jar of peanut butter and a bag of chocolate chips.

I thought all this stealthy hording was behind me now that I'm a grown up, and all the treats are mine (hehe), but no. The other day I bought some Mint Milanos and when I got home I actually put them in my closet beneath some shirts. I must just miss the game. Or, I need to find that therapist sooner than I thought.

3 comments:

Whit said...

Mieka! you are hilarious! I love the way you write! its so enjoyable! and especially since I remember those days too! i love reading about you. too funny :)

Marissa said...

Your posts seriously just brightened my day and made me laugh so hard Mister came to see what was the matter (he thought I was crying)! Thanks so much! :)

Sarah said...

MIEKA! I TOTALLY agree with Whitney! You are hilarious! :)I LOVE YOU! And your stories are hilarious! :)