Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Quotes

I like quotes. In high school I spent countless hours reading random quotations by famous (and some not so famous) people, and I'd copy & paste them onto word documents. Then I sorted them into categories and printed them in a notebook. So much time and effort went into the creation of this little project- time and effort that turned out to be wasted.

A few years ago I walked into Borders, and on the Bargain Books shelf there was a 1000 page book called Quotationary. Yep, it is just what it sounds like: a dictionary-like arrangement of quotations, first organized alphabetically by subject, then cross referenced by author. Ten dollars was the price of this masterpiece, whereas the price of my feeble attempt was measured not in dollars, but in precious minutes that I'll never get back, eyeball-aches from staring at the computer screen so long, calluses on my copy & paste fingers, and sheet protectors for each and every page lovingly placed in that 3-ring binder. Ten dollars- a bargain indeed.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Too bad you didn't publish yours first! You'd be rich! :) I think that's so cool that you do random things like that. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one... :)

Anonymous said...

You don't know what thoughts or feelings those quotes may have inspired in your life at the time you were doing it. What you might have been doing instead (like watching tv or playing computer games) would have been much less worth while. Love you. Don't be hesitant to do something just because someone may do it bigger... (Wow, I must be having a "Try-to-be-a-wise -mother" moment):P
Love You.