Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Flawed

Though this may come as a surprise to you, I do, in fact, have some flaws. One that is most noticeable on days like today is that when I have a goal, but I'm coming short of the mark, I tend to give up. Not entirely; I'll still have the goal generally, but I'll say to myself, "Well, today is a lost cause, so I might as well..." My reasoning is that though I blew it for now, I can start trying again tomorrow, or next week. I take some small comfort in the fact that I don't throw in the towel completely after one misstep, but I could do better. Instead of waiting until tomorrow to get back on track, I should make the most of what's left of today. I know in my brain that this is what I should do, and I'll even think it to myself as I'm falling off the proverbial wagon, but that is often not enough.

Therefore, as I was eating some sworn-off pop tarts and watching Friends on DVD, I decided to make a new goal. And as we all know, a person is more likely to accomplish a goal if you've told someone you set it, so I have decided to post my new goal here. I invite all of you (ok, the 5 of you) who read it to ask me how I'm doing on occasion. My new goal is this:

To have, and live by, a new motto: "It's not too late!" To no longer say a day or week is a lost cause, just because it didn't get off to the most productive start.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Good luck on your goal! I do the same thing too, so maybe I should follow your lead. :)

Aaron Hill said...

Good luck Mieka!
I am the same way except I give up. Whenever anything challenges me even a little, I will completely give up! I've been trying to be better about this, so thanks for your example!

(and a million thanks for coming to my baby shower! I had so much fun, and Emily got so much stuff!)

Whit said...

way to go miek's!good luck with it and i'll try and remember to ask you how you're doing.