Saturday, October 18, 2008

I've Never Felt Worse

Tony woke up screaming tonight, but I couldn't tell what was wrong. There have been times before where he's cried for no obvious reason, but this wasn't "I'm sad" crying, this was like getting shots times a million, screams of agony. I thought for sure his arm was dislocated or something had ruptured inside. Don was away (with our only car), and after 20 minutes of both of us sobbing, he finally calmed down. It was a blessing from the Lord, because I was one minute away from calling 911. He's fine now, and back asleep, but it was by far the most scared and helpless I've ever felt in my life. I've heard other parents say how awful it is to know there's something wrong with their child, and to feel bad for not being able to do anything for them, but I didn't really know until tonight.

What's even scarier is knowing that this is only the first of many times I'll feel this way throughout his life.

My heart hurts.

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Doesn't it just kill you when you don't know what's wrong or how to fix it? I've had times like that too - crying with them because I don't know what else to do. I'm glad he's ok, though.

Aaron Hill said...

Ah, Mieka you are such a good mommy. I'm glad that Tony is doing better. Hopefully it was something like painful gas, and not something really serious. HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way! I can't believe you are 25! I remember when you were in 4th grade, and it doesn't seem that long ago. I hope you have a wonderful day, and Tony too for that matter.

Lisa said...

You know, I seriously wonder sometimes if even babies have bad dreams. My kids have done that before and then their fine. I don't know what a baby would have a bad dream about - not being able to reach that bottle...