Saturday, September 6, 2008

Xanax, Anyone?

I am a very anxious person. All my life I've had what I thought were normal, somewhat rational fears, i.e. spiders (they are not more scared of me than I am of them!), burglars, monsters in the closet, etc. Now that I'm a grown up, you'd think I'd have a handle on these things, and that they wouldn't really bother me. But, alas, that is not the case. My trepidation has only increased over the years, to the point of near-medicatable* levels (And no, it's not just because I'm a mother now, though that hasn't helped things).

One situation that I frequently obsess over is what I would do if something happened while I was driving over a bridge, sending me plummeting off the edge into the watery abyss below. What if: the bridge collapses/ I collide with another car/ my car suddenly loses functionality and I can't turn the wheel/ a tire pops/ I sneeze and cause my arms to jerk suddenly to the side... A lot can go wrong when you're 200 feet up, with nothing but a two-foot tall cement barrier separating you from the plunge of nearly-certain death! So, to my friends on the other side of the Willamette, if I don't see you for long periods of time, don't worry, it's not you, it's me. Me, and my paranoid, angst-ridden mind.



*not a real word, but you catch my drift, right?

1 comment:

Marissa said...

I HAVE THOSE EXACT SAME BRIDGE THOUGHTS!!! Scott calls me crazy, but I literally have nightmares (and awake-mares) of what would happen if..... Like, which child would I save if I couldn't get them both out of their carseats fast enough? Would I just drown with them? Would I be able to hold my breath long enough to save all of us? Are you talking about that ridicuous Marquam (sp?) bridge and how it only has a teeny tiny barrier coming northbound? Kills me every time.