Thursday, November 6, 2008

Queen

My favorite game to play when I was a kid was Queen. This most enjoyable pastime was the brainchild of a haughty child's brain (mine). I have what some may consider a bossy streak, and there were few things I liked more than lording over my siblings. I found that the best way to do this was to make it a game. I'd get all the pillows and stack them in the recliner, tie a sheet about my shoulders, and ascend my throne. Poor Sarah and Whitney, they were my unwitting prey; I would let them play with me, but their character assignment was always 'Servant'. So I'd sit upon my feather dais and order them to fetch me milk and cookies, or my book, or occasionally I'd trick them into doing my chores ("Time to sweep the kitch- uh, royal stables!").

To enhance the experience I made myself a tinfoil crown, found a very shiny robe in the dress- up box, and I wasn't above having blankets spread out to serve as red carpets. Many a reflector-on-a-stick went missing from the end of the driveway because they made for a much more realistic scepter than the wire whisk I had been using.

After a few years, the girls no longer accepted being my humble slaves, so I promoted them to Princesses. Little did they know that real princesses don't have to get the Queen snacks and rub her feet. Seth played sometimes, but the highest title he received was Captain of the Guard.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Mieka I love you! I remember this haha, not a whole lots but I do remember. ;) I hope you're well! I love you! I love reading your blog too. lol. :)

Marissa said...

I used to play a similar game with my brother, but was never quite as creative about it. I just took advantage of his many crushes on my friends and made him do things for us in order to hang out with us. Big sisters can be so mean... :)